 Administrative / General / 6993
  Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) OK, here is the URL of the working prototype: (URL) "working" in the sense that it's the currentmost revision and the revolving content is fresh and up-to-date. It's a "prototype" in the sense that the layout (and obviously the URL) are (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman & Suzanne Rich write: (...) The layout is very nice and clear, simplistic and to the point... it's easy to find what you're looking, mostly. It's a good idea to put CLSOTW in a main place on the front page, (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) Aye, I'll be with them in that boat too. As great as the new page looks (awesome!), the one used now is much cleaner, easier to navigate, simpler, etc. It may not be quite as pretty, but it's lots more convenient. -Chris (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) All that you've said works great, if you add "...for experienced users". Which is why it's a good idea to seperate between the two, IMHO. -Shiri (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) poorly for some reason. I think this will be a more inviting page, but I do have some comments: - I like that you've made it quicker to get to the most active countries local groups (especially since at least in the past few days, going to (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

Todd & Suz <admin@lugnet.com> wrote in message news:FwLA6q.8Dr@lugnet.com... (...) ] (...) How would someone be able to get to Fabuland from this page ? Or know about it? I know the idea is to be more welcoming and this involves streamlining to (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) The few groups shown are the most active loc and themed groups. I think the page needs a link to a friendly introductory list of newsgroups by theme and popularity, as well as links to the traffic page and a full list of groups. Once upon a (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) How about something more hierarchical. Maybe somewhere near the top of the homepage instead of the botton you have a like that says "Find a Newsgroup". Then the first page you come to after clicking on that lists some general areas of (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes: <snip> (...) Thee was much talk about this a while ago... the Channels/RSS thing, no? I never got into that thread (too technical for me :-) ) but that sounded like a greeeeaaaaat idea. -Shiri (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) I'd like to see the option to check the last 100 messages added, in addition to the most recent 100 messages. I use this almost exclusively, even on my slow connection at home, as it gives you a quick way to see most of the day's messages, and (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message news:FwLIKC.L62@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) and (...) groups. (...) I happen to like this one. There are always new discoveries for me at Lugnet. Today is the first time I notice the # bar at the (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) ahh, the map -- yes! How would you make a calendar? Maybe this can be one of the community projects for the upcoming projects area. I don't have time to maintain a calendar of events but perhaps someone else does. It would nice to see some (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

You know what I find to be the biggest problem? Finding whether a newsgroup exists for a particular topic or theme I'm interested in. And the solution? Sign up, use a newsreader, and use it's automatic matching function to see if the keyword you're (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) That sounds great! (...) Ahhh--d'Oh--forgot the /org/ link. I think it was in there at one point and then came out, figuring they'd be cross-ref'd from the /loc/ areas. (...) Maybe there's a better place for it. (...) OK, good idea. (...) I (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman writes: <snip> (...) Actually I think cross-referancing the /org/ groups with the /loc/ groups is a great idea. There are a few that might be hard to define boarders for but still worth while. Maybe as long as an (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)

(...) admin.general more often). I like the new design, but I think there's still a lot of information to digest on the front page. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the trend toward busier and busier front pages on many web sites. The prototype (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.admin.general)