 Administrative / General / 6880
Re: Virtual cookies (was: Re: Editing Member Pages & Netscape)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:59:59 GMT

Can you let it check for a cookie on the machine first, and if present, use
that

See <http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=6878>

(a particular machine may have different details such as org, for
whatever reason), and can you, when one goes to step 2, present the "virtual
cookie" as a starting point if the machine doesn't already have one?

There's only one "virtual cookie" per member record -- so it doesn't support
multiple news-posting configs.

With these additions you can easily load cookies by logging in, doing the
config thing, saving a cookie and now you can log out again.

That's not quite how it works -- it doesn't send you a cookie when you sign
in.  Rather, it notices that you've got a "virtual cookie" in your member
record, and if you go to post, it uses that instead of relying on a real
cookie.

Thus, it completely eliminates the need for real cookies other than the one
sign-in cookie.

That way you're
only logged in when you need to be. I'm not sure I really want to leave my
machine logged in at home all the time, no sense in letting my kids and
random visitors to my house be able to do stuff like modify my member pages.

Ya, when you sign out, your sign-in cookie will go away, and, then your
virtual cookie in your member record won't be available.

For posting config this may be overkill but if you extend it to any other
cookies you may introduce I think it gives a lot of power.

It also handles the news/mail config thing

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/mail/

and the newsgroup filter thing

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/filter/

Same deal there -- (1) be signed in, then (2) hit 'submit' on those forms
(or whatever the button is named) and then that info will be extracted from
your real cookie and stored in a virtual cookie.  Then you can delete the
real cookies (if you want) using a text editor or whatever.  They stay there
by default in case you still want to use them if you sign out.

--Todd