 Administrative / General / 6869
6868  |  6870
Subject:
Virtual cookies (was: Re: Editing Member Pages & Netscape)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 05:17:01 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Oh, and while I am thinking about it, having just gone through the maddening
process again, is there any way to make the member sign-in ALSO function as
the posting setup process?  Every time I sign in from a new computer I
blissfully start trying to respond to a post then discover I have to setup
the posting thingie.  And yes, I only have to do it once, but I still say
it makes no sense for me to do it since I have already proven who I am and
the system knows which info I'll be posting from - why not write all that
to the same cookie (or make two, I don't care) the password-save info goes
into?

I figured out last night how to make a not-too-kludged transitional workable
thingie.  I made a thingie where it now stores 'virtual' cookies into your
Member record.  If you're signed in, then it fetches the virtual cookie from
there as if it was a real cookie.  Now, if you do this:

1.  Sign in:
    http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/sign-in/

2.  Fill out the news-posting setup form:
    http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

then step #2 sees that you're signed in, so it takes what you fill out into
that form and associates it with your LUGNET Member data.  Thus, in the
future, whenever you're signed in, you won't have to do #2 anymore.  From
that point, once you've done #2 after doing #1, all you'll need to do at a
new computer is #1.

--Todd