 Administrative / General / 6874
Re: Virtual cookies (was: Re: Editing Member Pages & Netscape)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:00:02 GMT

I figured out last night how to make a not-too-kludged transitional workable
thingie.

You rock. Guess i have to stop using "ToddIsAWeenie" as my password now. :-)
(1)

Can you let it check for a cookie on the machine first, and if present, use
that (a particular machine may have different details such as org, for whatever
reason), and can you, when one goes to step 2, present the "virtual cookie" as
a starting point if the machine doesn't already have one?

With these additions you can easily load cookies by logging in, doing the
config thing, saving a cookie and now you can log out again. That way you're
only logged in when you need to be. I'm not sure I really want to leave my
machine logged in at home all the time, no sense in letting my kids and random
visitors to my house be able to do stuff like modify my member pages.

For posting config this may be overkill but if you extend it to any other
cookies you may introduce I think it gives a lot of power.

Not sure these ideas make sense or are really really needed but wanted to chum
the discussion waters to see what surfaced.

1 - that was a JOKE, son. Besides, that password won't pass the checker and
don't ask me how I know.

++Lar