 Administrative / General / 6648
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 16:50:04 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas P. Rafert writes:
Could it be someone there who reads LUGNET "slipped" it in to try to help?
Figuring it was small enough to make it through?  I can't see corp.levels
doing this, I'm sure they would have contacted Todd & Suz before hand.

I don't see how this could "help" at all.  To someone who has no idea of what
LUGNET is (I forget - does the page even show the word LUGNET or just the
logo?) this is just a neat picture.  No URL, no TM, no nothing.  So for people
who have never seen LUGNET.com it would be useless.

Now for us, it LOOKS cool, in a way, and maybe some people would think "oh
cool, TLC is finally beginning to recognize is - aren't they great!"  But the
reality is they used a trademark without permission and without giving credit
to its owner, while at the same time doing nothing to point new people here.

So really, I don't see what they did as helping at all.  In fact, one could
just as easily argue that what they did was throw Todd & Suz and us a picture
of a bone that, on first glance, might look promising, but upon further
investigation turns out to be worthless.

I don't want to misinterpret anyone, so I'll say that IMHO TLC gave us a
backhanded compliment. I believe that they are starting to recognize us as a
force, but don't wish to directly acknowledge us as of yet, trademark
infringements aside. I looks promising in the long term, but there is the
intellectual property infringement issue.
As a card carrying LUGNET member, like you Mike, I'm somewhat incensed that
they neglected to A) inform Todd and Suz, and us by proxy thereof, B) did not
bother to make legal disclaimers to the item, C) did not provide anyone with a
internet pointer/URL for the site.
I think that "WE" (Todd and Suz have the ultimate decision/responsibility on
this), should directly express grievance with them (TLC) over the issue. TLC
has never hassled me, but I have heard stories about how they have hassled
many others about trademark infringement and now it's time for them to get a
taste of their own medicine.
One other humble opinion of mine is that they should decide if they like us,
or don't like us; "S##T or get off the pot," as it were.

BTW, all opinions are mine and are not in anyway the opinions of anyone else
in this thread. (Opinions are like you-know-what's; everyone has one.)

Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
EASTCOAST BRICKFEST IN THE NATION'S CAPITOL 9-11 JUN!!! Come join the fun!!!
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****