 Administrative / General / 5978
Re: POST vs. GET (was: Re: IGNORE: yet another test message)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 04:27:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
Oh! I am thinking of "rating" as the number displayed with a message on the
web site. Are you saying that you'd spit out the entire rating history of
the message, for the client to do something with? Hmmm.....

I guess the client doesn't really care about the history of the message
rating,

Yeah -- what Dan said.  I don't mean to send the entire _history_ with all
the timestamps, but rather to send the raw data up to that point -- all the
raw values -- (which is almost like the whole history) -- so that the client
can calculate a rating however it sees fit.

but that would be the best way to adjust the clients view of
messages rating...  though I assume the client will be able to query the
ratings of a message independently...  so if you already know of a
message's rating you could ask for an update, if you don't, you can ask
for the complete picture.

Another thought though, instead of giving the "rating log" from a
timestamp, give us the _full_ rating of messages that changed since a
timestamp.  It'll make it simpler to deal with things like "UnRate" and
will also cut down on the amt of data sent...

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean by full rating, but I'm thinking something like
this:

   lugnet.foo.bar 40 60 70 70 80
   lugnet.bar.baz 70
   lugnet.glorp.gnort 80 80 90 90 90 90 90 90 100 100 100

or equivalently but more compactly

   lugnet.foo.bar 40 60 70x2 80
   lugnet.bar.baz 70
   lugnet.glorp.gnort 80x2 90x6 100x3

It'll be up to the client to add the 50's (or whatever value they choose).

Then, if, let's say, lugnet.bar.baz gets rated 80 by a second human, then the
following would be included in the list after that point in time:

   lugnet.bar.baz 70 80

And then later if someone came along and rated it 40, it would show this
after that point:

   lugnet.bar.baz 40 70 80

And then later if someone erased their 70, it would show this after that
point:

   lugnet.bar.baz 40 80

So, something like that.  Each time an article's rating changes, it needs to
flag that article with the timestamp of the change, and then be able to spit
back that article as part of a list of articles whose ratings have changed
past some specified timestamp.

--Todd