 Administrative / General / 5975
Re: POST vs. GET (was: Re: IGNORE: yet another test message)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 04:18:33 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Dan Boger <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote:
I think you'll be able to get that from the message headers, when you
look it up... but most cases the message when you read it first will
have a rating of 50 - assuming you get it as soon as it's posted, no one
would have had a chance to rate it yet...  that's why you need to be
able to look up ratings after the initial download.

Hmmm -- is that a planned feature? Current messages don't seem to have an
X-Rating (hmmm, that sounds kinda funny) unless I am missing something.
(Always possible!)

As far as I know (haven't checked in the past 5 hours) it's not there
yet - but Todd mentioned adding it to the avid.cgi at some point.

Anyway, that would be plenty good for me. 1) I don't tend to keep my
newsreader open for days, and it doesn't cache headers and 2) if I'm caught
up enough with a newsgroup that I'm reading new messages, I don't really
care about the ratings and will probably read them all. It's when there's a
backlog that they're really useful, and those messages will tend to already
have accumulated 90% of the rating they're ever going to get.

nod, that'll work for you.  For what I'm planning to do, the spooling
process will run all the time, while the client connects when I'm
actively reading...  So the spooler will have to have a way to get new
ratings as they appear...

:)

Dan