 Administrative / General / 5889
Re: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:41:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
While I don't think people should need to justify why they mark anything up
or down, I think it would help if people were prepared to give/suggest
reasons if someone genuinely is curious why they have been downscored.

Otherwise they are likely to do it again - with feedback, marking can have a
positive effect on the quality of posts.

I have no idea why the guesses were marked down, perhaps it is just random
subjectivity - but that's just a guess :)

"Marking up" or "marking down" is a figment of the imagination.  The initial
score of 50 shown by the webserver is simply the result of a single value 50
in the average.  If an article is rated 30 by someone, it hasn't been "marked
down" to 40 ((50+30)/2 = 40), it simply now has a composite rating of 40 where
earlier it may have shown as 50.  Similarly, if an article is rated 80 by
someone, it hasn't been "marked up" to 65 ((50+80)/2) = 65), it simply now has
a composite rating of 65 where earlier it may have shown as 50.

The initial default rating of 50 from the server isn't written in stone, and
may later be configurable by users to different default values for different
groups.  For example, I might want all posts to .announce.lsahs to carry a
default rating of 100 from the server, or all posts to .off-topic.debate to
carry a default rating of 20 from the server.

Thus, if someone rated an article 30 in .off-topic.debate and my default
for that group was 25, then I would see a rating for that article of
(20+30)/2 = 25, where other people might see (50+30)/2 = 40.  If I thought
that someone had marked the article "up" to 25 from 20, I'd be imagining
things.  Similarly, if someone rated an article 90 in .announce.lsahs and my
default for that group was 100, then I would see a rating for that article of
(100+90)/2 = 95, where other people might see (50+90)/2 = 70.

When rating articles, or viewing current ratings, please try not to put so
much weight on the initial 50 -- it's just a midpoint "guess" from the server.

--Todd