 Administrative / General / 6004
Re: Top-N article list adjusted for article-age
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:28:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

[...] The elapsed time (article age) will  be accounted for later in
searches and top-N lists by scaling the score according to some f(t). • [...]

Here's a crude example -- a static list built "by hand" from a few one-liners
using current data:

  http://www.lugnet.com/?p=hotlight

Interesting.

I would also suggest that it might be interesting to have another list that in
addition to time value, takes the NUMBER of ratings into account.

To my way of thinking 2 articles both rated 90 aren't quite the same if one is
rated 90 by 5 and the other by 50.

I'm with you on this. This is the only real problem with the system as it
stands - not enough readers are rating the posts. Scores on post with only one
rating are of little value (to me) - especially when the single score is 0 or
100. I'm sure things will improve with time... most things do.

Scott A

Just something to ponder.

++Lar