 Administrative / General / 5898
Re: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:04:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Here's my thinking, no one should feel pressure. But... feedback works better
if one knows why.

Article ratings aren't supposed to be feedback.  The ratings are supposed to
describe to readers approximately how helpful or useful or interesting or fun
an article might be to them -- giving them some sense of what to expect.

Normally I don't ask. But when I do, it's because I'm
genuinely curious and want to improve.

(no one OWES a post good feedback
because of who the poster is, or what the topic is)

I guess I was more bothered by my post asking how to improve getting low
ratings than the first one.

What's wrong with getting a low rating?  Aiming for high ratings shouldn't
IMHO be a goal.  People should post what the way the like, the way they are,
and not try to be someone or something they aren't.  If your articles aren't
getting ratings as high as you would like to see them, by all means you are
perfectly welcome to rate your own articles.

If you ask questions about how to get better ratings, I find that disturbing
(personally) and I'll mark those low because I (personally) don't want to see
silly stuff like that.  If you find questions like that helpful, then by all
means feel free to mark questions of that nature high.

Ratings do not IMHO and should not IMHO need to be justified.

Agree. But they're RATINGS, that is, one presumably is using them as a
guide.  The reader is guided in what to read and the writer who cares is
guided in what to write. If he or she can figure out what the issue is,
that is.

I dunno.  I can only suggest that people post in the manner that is most
comfortable to them, and never to worry about the article ratings/scores.

If someone rates something low and they care to explain why, then they'll
post a followup or write the author directly to express those views.  If
they don't care to explain why at the time of rating, then they certainly
won't care to explain why when asked directly or indirectly.

IMHO, it's obnoxious to post questions asking why something was rated the way
it was.  But that's just me.

--Todd