 Administrative / General / 5896
Re: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:42:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
"Marking up" or "marking down" is a figment of the imagination.
Everything I snipped I agree with, and I'll try and use better terminology -
less than average/better than average?

Hmm, I wouldn't assume that 50 is an average.  50 is 50, whatever 50 means.
50 is just a midpoint between 0 (lowest) and 100 (highest).  An average article
might be 63.262 to one reader and 43.828 to another reader.  We might strive
for 50 to be an average, but I don't think that 50% of all articles will end
up <=50 and 50% will end up >=50.

50 could be thought of as "typical" or "average" or "half the way insanely
great."  90 could be thought of as "90% of the way to insanely great" or a
10% feeling that it wasn't useful.  10 could be thought of as "10% of the way
to insanely great" or a 90% feeling that it wasn't useful.

The numbers are just numbers on a linear scale, and you can feel free to
put whatever interpretations to them that you like.  How strongly do you feel
that some article was useful to you?  How strongly do you feel that the world
(or your own personal world) would be a lesser place without that article?

--Todd