 Administrative / General / 4365
Re: Clarification of rules please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:10:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Huw Millington writes:
Why is it OK to discuss things seen at trade-only toy fairs:
http://www.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=5889
Generally speaking, it probably isn't OK.
Why not?

"Generally speaking" => "In general" => "In the general case"

Some of (perhaps much of) what's disclosed at toy fairs is done so behind
curtains and closed doors and in obscure hotel rooms and under NDA's only
under special provisions.  Of course, most of what ends up appearing in the
daily rags at the shows *is* meant for public consumption, and certainly
anything that appears in a press kit is intended for public consumption.

Thus, while it _may_ be perfectly fine to disclose _particular_ things seen
at trade-only toy fairs (subject to the nature of the information and how it
was obtained), it certainly isn't automatically true _in general_ (i.e., for
all things) seen at trade-only toy fairs.

Thus,

   Generally speaking, it probably isn't OK.

meant

   It's not true that in all cases it's OK.

and not

   It's true that in all cases it's not OK.

--Todd