 Administrative / General / 4363
Re: Clarification of rules please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:06:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Huw Millington writes:
Why is it OK to discuss things seen at trade-only toy fairs:
http://www.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=5889

Generally speaking, it probably isn't OK.

Why not?

Toy fairs are all about publicity.  The only reason toy companies participate
in them is to get their product out.  I doubt the author of From Bricks to
Bothans was there as anything BUT the author of a website about toys (well, and
a fanboy).  Lego handed out literature with the photos in it to the press that
were on hand.  Of course things like that are going to hit the 'Net- and trade
publications, and toy magazines like ToyFare and Lee's.

The info about the bucket was probably just as much as Lego wanted to let out.
Once again, why would they be discussing it with members of the press if they
didn't want publicity?

In the past few years at least, I can only think of one sticky situation in
this regard- last year, when around this time at the annual Toy Fair in New
York Hasbro wanted to be able to show Episode I toys to buyers.  Because of
Lucasfilm's secrecy about Episode I (which no longer applies, and certainly
never applied to the Falcon) Hasbro ushered specific VIPs into a serperate room
where the toys were laid out.  EVEN THEN they allowed certain specific press
folks in, with the understanding that specific descriptions were right out.

I'll freely admit that while I would love to be a toy journalist, I'm not, and
all of this is second- and sometimes third-hand info from magazines and
websites, but when everyone says the same thing...

eric