 Administrative / General / 4357
Re: Clarification of rules please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:47:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Huw Millington writes:
Why is it OK to discuss things seen at trade-only toy fairs:
http://www.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=5889

Generally speaking, it probably isn't OK.

But in this case, I certainly don't see photos of products there which
haven't already been announced and publicized by TLC in year-2000 consumer
catalogs (US & Germany)...do you?  I suppose some of the new (to us) photos
of those already-announced products may potentially represent leaks, but it
seems unclear.

The info about the upcoming so-called "Pod Builder bucket" might also be
questionable -- assuming that the product hasn't been announced yet -- but
since the information about the bucket allegedly came from a press kit, it's
a good bet that it was probably TLC's intention to announce the product
(although how can we be sure at this point?).  The big question here, I
guess, would be:  Is the press allowed to repeat information in these press
kits the week before Toy Fair, or must it wait until next week?

but not OK to disclose and discuss the contents of trade-only catalogues?

IMHO, whether it's OK or not OK with TLC to disclose and discuss the contents
of trade-only catalogues is a question best addressed to TLC legal counsel.
However, certainly no company would approve of the disclosure of the contents
of portions of trade-only catalogues involving product and product lines yet
unannounced to consumers.

In other words, what's OK and what's not OK to post is not something that can
ever be codified succinctly, FBOFW.  Thus, basically:  don't post any anything
illegal or anything which tromps on the legal rights of others.  If in doubt,
err on the conservative side.

Personally, I would not have posted what Tim posted, but it's impossible to
say (without being a TLC insider) that what he posted clearly tromped on
TLC's legal rights or that it represented a potential harm to the community
or anything like that.

With respect to this issue, it's great that TLC will be taking a more active
role here, as not only will they be able to clarify such questions (assuming
that Brad succeeds in getting some of their legal counsel online) but they
will also be able to assume the entire burden of addressing potential
transgressions, especially the gray areas like this one.

--Todd