 Administrative / General / 3359
Re: Any one know these email addresses?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 19:40:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Christopher Lannan" <shakguy@hotmail.com> writes:
[...]

Oh, I forgot I also post from home to RTL. That must be the source. Sorry
Todd.

I don't know, it's looking more and more like LUGNET- I've never been to RTL.
I notice that James West is listed above, too, and I've seen him around here.

I just had a quick look in the user-info DB...  Several (but not all) of the
address that Scott quoted showed up, so it's possible (maybe not entirely
likely) that the robot I discovered crawling the website last week

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3342

was an email address harvester...  :-/  I can't figure out where the other
addresses Scott listed came from, though, so maybe not.

It's actually impossible ever to know for sure, but one thing's clear --
I'll have to make the website more tough on robots.

Of course, spammers could always listen via NNTP or the mailing lists too,
and that would be completely undetectable from a system load standpoint
because it would look like anything else...  NNTP (unlike HTTP) is designed
for super-rapid page access, and SMTP is sent out proactively by the server
itself.

--Todd