 Administrative / General / 3342
Re: Any one know these email addresses?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:53:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher Lannan writes:
Obviously a hoax. It looks like a bot got my address from somewhere- any
other lugnetters get this one? I think it may have been from here because
one is "lego". I think a 'bot because one still has a spamblock in it.

Just curious. I sent Nicole a nice message about how there has yet to be
one of these that wasn't a hoax- if it wasn't Bill Gates would have sent
me to Disney World and Miller would have sent me a six pack of beer!

Funny, because I just got SPAMmed today for the first time in a loooong
time. (Not the same message, though.)  I've actually been quite impressed
at how immune LUGNET appears to be from SPAM-bots, since I haven't
SPAM-blocked my e-dress in many months here.  Maybe they're finally
catching on to us?
[...]

Very interesting.  I wonder...hmm:  About a week ago, I caught some loser in
the act of trying to crawl the entire www.lugnet.com website -- and I don't
just mean every web page, but actually every single *URL* it found -- even
<FORM> targets -- meaning that it was trying also to reply to every single
article as well (of course those all failed).

I didn't notice the activity until after it had requested ~37000 URLs
totaling ~275 MB of outgoing HTTP traffic.  It makes we seriously consider
installing something automated to watch for filth like that and let the
server catch things like this automatically and stop them within a few
minutes.  Not only was it ignoring the robots.txt file, but it was calling
CGI scripts multiple times per second (the worst possible violation of robot
etiquette).

So anyway, given what you guys mention above, I wonder if this crawler last
week was an email address harvester and not just some random script kiddie
out there playing around.

Here is the IP address it was reporting in case anyone recognizes it or
knows anything more about it:

   193.10.176.157   <==>  titus.ida.his.se

--Todd