 Publishing / 1193
1192  |  1194
Subject:
Merchandising (was: Re: Any one know these email addresses?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:13:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
I was wondering if it was someone trying to do a LUGNET on CD for eBay, or
something similar. Then I wondered if it were even possible for LUGNET to
do that if they wanted to - as some sort of merchandising thing, "The
LUGNET Archives Vol 1" etc :) Does LUGNET hold the copyright on the
messages, or are those still held by the people that posted them?

No, the original posters still hold the copyright on the messages they post.
However, as provided in the LUGNET Terms of Use, LUGNET has an unrestricted
license to publish, sublicence, archive, etc. all the messages people post
directly to LUGNET.  In other words, the original posters of messages retain
the right to republish or do anything they want with their own messages, but
they can't ever prevent LUGNET from doing what it wants with the messages,
once they're received.  That's part of the agreement to use the system.
So yes, theoretically, LUGNET could, if it wanted, publish a complete
archive or compilation on CD-ROM (or on paper, for that matter).

On the subject of LUGNET merchandising.. are there any secret or not so
secret plans?

I guess you could say there are some "secret" plans, yeah, but I shouldn't
really call them "secret" plans.  Here's what we're thinking...  Now that
membership fundage is starting to trickle in, we'll use a portion of that
to fund the creation and sale of merchandising-type things, for example...

   - T-shirts
   - Pin-on buttons
   - Mousepads
   - Coffee mugs

...and (who knows) possibly also...

   - Hats/caps
   - Posters
   - Notepad cubes (those 4" cubes of 500 sheets of notepad paper)
   - Heavy-duty refrigerator magnets
   - Bumper stickers (ha ;-)

There are so many companies on the net nowadays that can print your name or
logo on just about anything if you pay them enough, so there are quite a few
options.

<http://www.camouflagetee.com/page2b.html> Offer fairly
decent (?) prices on bulk embroidered t-shirts - possibly longer-lasting
than a print for the LUGNET logo.

Thanks for the tip above...will have a look!

I'm asking because I know that I'd buy 2-3 LUGNET t-shirts, and I'm sure
that a lot of other people would too!

Little embroidered logos on t-shirts would certainly be fun!  I'd like one
on a white button-down 100% thick cotton oxford shirt too.  :-)

--Todd

p.s.  Here's a low-res version of the design likely to be used for the
round mousepads:  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/logo/mousepads.html