 Administrative / General / 1880
Re: Clear line between Auctions and Trades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:59:14 GMT

Interesting, I hadn't thought about your original reasons for seperating
the two.  I would have guessed that the only real reason was to keep
updates out of the trade group, which is only a part of your reason.

Todd Lehman wrote:

On the other hand, if, as a bidder/buyer, you have to bid like everyone else,
and then you simply have the option to trade a LEGO set in lieu of actual
cash, then that is *absolutely* *positively* *not* appropriate for the
.buy-sell-trade group, because it's not a trade but rather an auction with
flexible payment rules.  Mark's auction falls into this category.

If I'm a person with a substantial LEGO collection, but no free money, I
won't read auction and will miss some opportunities where I might be
able to trade into the auction.  I was thinking about the people who
fall into that category.  Do you suppose they comprise so small a group
that they are insignificant?  That may be, I just have no idea.

Finally, it is simply never ever appropriate to post auction updates in
.buy-sell-trade; doing so flagrant abuse of the rules, and violates the
sanctity of the group, which is supposed to be 100% auction-free.

I agree and am glad.

If not, how does one let
people who are only interested in trades - and who thus don't read
.auction - know about this kind opportunity?

Mark's auction is actually no different from any other kind of auction.
The only perceptual difference is that he is actively advertising that he
may be willing to accept LEGO sets as trade in lieu of cash.  Of course any
sane LEGO auctioneer does this.  The bottom line in Mark's case is that it
is still 100% an auction:  people have to bid, and the price can go
arbitrarily high.  It's pure noise to people who dislike auctions.  The
fact that trades are accepted in lieu of cash does not make it any less
an auction.

I guess so, but it seems to me that the "harm" done to the
buy-sell-trade people by allowing an initial announcement if there is a
desire for substantial trading is less than the potential "good" done
for everyone.

I do see your point now though, where I guess I didn't at first.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA