 Administrative / General / 1864
1863  |  1865
Subject:
Clear line between Auctions and Trades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:59:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Would it be appropriate to post just the initial announcement if trades
are to be accepted as auction bid currency?

If, as a bidder/buyer, you can trade for something and end up not having to
place bids in the auction, then it may be appropriate for the auctioneer to
tactfully post a note (*once*) in the .buy-sell-trade group pointing people
over to the .auction group, perhaps to a specific article, or giving a repeat
of the list, if the auction is some kind of trade/auction hybrid.

On the other hand, if, as a bidder/buyer, you have to bid like everyone else,
and then you simply have the option to trade a LEGO set in lieu of actual
cash, then that is *absolutely* *positively* *not* appropriate for the
.buy-sell-trade group, because it's not a trade but rather an auction with
flexible payment rules.  Mark's auction falls into this category.

Finally, it is simply never ever appropriate to post auction updates in
.buy-sell-trade; doing so flagrant abuse of the rules, and violates the
sanctity of the group, which is supposed to be 100% auction-free.

If not, how does one let
people who are only interested in trades - and who thus don't read
.auction - know about this kind opportunity?

Mark's auction is actually no different from any other kind of auction.
The only perceptual difference is that he is actively advertising that he
may be willing to accept LEGO sets as trade in lieu of cash.  Of course any
sane LEGO auctioneer does this.  The bottom line in Mark's case is that it
is still 100% an auction:  people have to bid, and the price can go
arbitrarily high.  It's pure noise to people who dislike auctions.  The
fact that trades are accepted in lieu of cash does not make it any less
an auction.

The easiest way to see the big picture is like this:  The reason that the
.buy-sell-trade group was created in the first place is to have a quiet,
pleasant place where people can discuss trades with no auction noise
whatsoever.  That's why it's there, and the closer it stays to that ideal,
the better.

It seems like some
crossover should be reasonable...even if it's not written that way.

I haven't ever seen a real crossover case yet.  Note that Mark's auction is
still 100% auction.  He's just making a formal statement that he is willing
to accept LEGO sets as trade in lieu of cash.

--Todd