 Administrative / General / 1870
Re: Clear line between Auctions and Trades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 05:57:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
I've seen a few crossover situations which might be candidates. I've seen
auctions which indicate that items may be withdrawn for trade. The
implication is that if you offer a trade the auctioneer likes, he'll close
the auction and do the trade.

Well, but how many auctioneers -won't- ever withdraw some item for a trade
if need be?  Disclaimers about reserving the right to withdraw something for
a trade are pretty common.

I'm not sure how I feel about these. They still are an auction of course,
just that if you offer the right trade, the auctioneer automatically values
that trade as effectively unlimited value, and saves everyone time. On the
other hand, as a bidder, I would be pissed at this kind of situation,
especially if I get no opportunity to make a counter offer.

I don't think these are any different than any other kind of auction.  I've
never seen any LEGO auction where the seller committed/guaranteed/promised
that he/she would sell the item and waive the right to withdraw it.

I'd have to say that I would prefer to see auctions stay in the auction
group. I would also prefer that trades only be accepted as a method of
payment (of course it's fine to negotiate a possible value of your trade so
you know how high you can bid), and not cause items to be withdrawn. Please
do indicate if you are open to trades though, and specify what you're
looking for.

Yeah.  I agree.

I also wonder if auction updates shouldn't be posted, rather everyone
who's bidding be kept in the loop with e-mail? I get tired of wading past
auctions updates for auctions I'm not interested in. One thing to consider,
at least keep your updates threaded like Geoffrey Runge has.

That'd be the ideal thing.  But sending out email to a list of people can
sometimes be a lot more work than simply posting an update.  I don't enjoy
wading through reams of updates either, but it probably wouldn't be helpful
in the grand scheme of things to require that people conduct updates via
email only...

--Todd