 Administrative / General / 1887
Re: Clear line between Auctions and Trades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:40:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Interesting, I hadn't thought about your original reasons for seperating
the two.  I would have guessed that the only real reason was to keep
updates out of the trade group, which is only a part of your reason.

Right.  The other part is to keep auction announcements out of the trade
group.  Announcements are just as much "noise" as updates are (to people
who hate auctions).  And it's also human nature (when it comes to selling)
to bend the rules as much as possible sometimes, meaning that people would
enjoy finding clever ways to justify posting a periodic update in the guise
of an announcement.  Not everyone would, but enough people would to ruin the
fun.

If I'm a person with a substantial LEGO collection, but no free money, I
won't read auction and will miss some opportunities where I might be
able to trade into the auction.  I was thinking about the people who
fall into that category.  Do you suppose they comprise so small a group
that they are insignificant?  That may be, I just have no idea.

I think in Mark's case, it would be appropriate for him to post a specially
tailored message to the .buy-sell-trade group inviting them to check out his
auction in the .auction group, preferably with a URL to the announcement
posting or something like that.

People can also be discreet and put stuff in their sigs like this:

   Bob Snorgleblortz - bobsnorg@foofoo.glorp.com - LEGO Technic/Trains fan!
   100 sets to trade/sell! --> http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=xxxx

(where xxxx is of course the actual message number)

That would be a great way to reach an additional bunch of people, and it
could even be done in any group.

I guess so, but it seems to me that the "harm" done to the
buy-sell-trade people by allowing an initial announcement if there is a
desire for substantial trading is less than the potential "good" done
for everyone.

That may be.  In that case, an initial announcement to the .buy-sell-trade
group is best done in a tactful way which doesn't scream "auction auction!"
all over it, and which doesn't say spiteful or flippant things like "No,
this isn't off-topic..."

--Todd