 Administrative / General / 1879
Re: True Geekness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:48:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ed Jones writes:
How geeklike of Todd to spring an announced change to the "program"
without a word of warning!

More candid/open/spontaneous/frank feedback from people this way sometimes.

Yeah, that's just what my other half says. :')  Sorry, I bust his chops for it
all the time.

Almost everyday when I boot up the computer, its a new experience!  He has this
wonderful habit of reconfiguring things and then leaving me to figure out where
everything went or why it doesn't work anymore.  Can't tell you the number of
times I have had to reload a few games because he has redirected .dlls.

I like the overall look of the new web interface, but would prefer a
list of the last 20 posts with simply the time of the newest post.

Have you seen where the traffic page now points?

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/traffic/

--Todd

Yes, I had seen that.  Nice.  Even nicer is the ability to view compact

But see now you've whetted our appetites for more:

1. The message displays seem to be only about 500 pixels wide.  In that blank
space, it would be great to have the message thread flowgraph that now appears
a the bottom of the message so you could see where the message was in the rank
of things while you were reading it.  Or, have direct links to other topics
(like the past 24 hours list on the traffic page) in the right 3/8ths of the
screen.  Nothing like direct access!

2. From the first page of a topic, you have added "Next Page: 5 more, 10 more".
But in actuality its "view the NEXT 5/10".  I would expect that when I viewed 5
or 10 more I would still see the original 4.  But that brings me to my next
point.

3. The way the site is now designed, it looks like user customability may be on
the way.  Have you given any thought to giving users the ability to customize
the site for their usage?  For example, being able to set a default view for
each topic's first page:  number of messages listed, format (all, brief,
compact).  Or the ability to rank a threads importance.  For instance: I want
to see all the messages in certain thread first.  Or, I don't want to see the
messages in another thread at all.

4. On the "homepage", The font size for the "Links and Resources" is the same
size as the compact "messages" displayed in the right "column".  I overlooked
them twice trying to find the CLSoTW link.  Seems like they should have a much
more prominent font!

5. Add the "Search Set Database" field everywhere.  Yes everywhere.  Beiung one
the few who has not memorized the LEGO Sets by number, it would be great,
especially in the Auction, Buy/Sell/Trade, Reviews and most other topics.

Anyway, just some food for thought.