 Administrative / General / 1629
Re: LUGNET search page request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 21:21:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
That's weird; I sometimes see results with just A or just B above results
with both A and B.  e.g., search for "Lego Maniac", and I see two results
with just "Lego", one with "Lego - Maniac", one with "Lego", etc.

This is because of the way scoring works.  An article that has "LEGO Maniac"
way down at the bottom is getting a lower score than an article that has
lots of occurrences of "LEGO" or "Maniac" or a few of them near the top or
in the subject line.

The weighted scoring usually works really nicely, but here's a case where it
doesn't.

Mmmmm...  Alta Vista...  Drool...

Excuse me.  *ahem*  Yes, that would be keen.

Yea, the Alta Vista's syntax would make this work great -- if you could
specify

   +LEGO +Maniac

or

   "LEGO Maniac"

instead of

   LEGO Maniac

then it would get a lot closer to what you wanted.

--Todd