 Administrative / General / 1624
Re: LUGNET search page request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 16:06:05 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
I want to be able to specify "AND" and/or "OR" queries using the search page
(1).  Currently, all searches seem to be using "OR".
Actually, it's using a weighted/scoring algorithm which ranks A AND B higher
than A OR B, while considering both implicitly.
[snip]

That's weird; I sometimes see results with just A or just B above results
with both A and B.  e.g., search for "Lego Maniac", and I see two results
with just "Lego", one with "Lego - Maniac", one with "Lego", etc.

Plus, there are times when I just want results with both A and B, and
nothing less.  But that is more of a "waiting for the search engine to
finish" issue, and I suspect that it would probably take as long either way.

Also, it would be nice to specify multi-word phrases which won't be broken
up during the query, but that's not that important if we can get "AND" in
the query.
I really like the way AltaVista lets you use double-quotes (") and plus-
signs (+) and minus signs (-).  Something like that?

Mmmmm...  Alta Vista...  Drool...

Excuse me.  *ahem*  Yes, that would be keen.

What about specifying a target date?  That's something I want.  I want to be
able to say, "Anything that's about 2 weeks old, give that a higher score
than the other results," or "Give the very newest stuff (say, stuff that's
about 0 hours old) a higher score than the other results."

That would be helpful, too.  What would help me more, though, is specifying
articles from a single author or group of authors.

Cheers,
- jsproat

May the Force be with y'all.