 Administrative / General / 13384
Re: Lugnet: WAKE UP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 16:05:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
[...]

Stupid question: In whatever way will that post help?

Aaron's post might prod Todd and Suz into actually doing something.
My reply might prod them into not doing the things that didn't work
last time.  That seems helpful to me. Your mileage may vary, of
course, but those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat
it.

OK. Makes (some kind of) sense now. Sorry for the nag, but you sounded so
disillusioned in that post that I was actually wondering if it was the real
Larry that had written it...

Well, I *am* pretty disillusioned at this point, so that's a valid (and astute)
observation on your part.

It's always sad to see something deteriorate, especially something that you
invested considerable emotional capital(1) in making a success, which I think it
is fair to say I have... I was a very early participant (member number 5 (1)), I
gave significant sums of money beyond the base membership donation, I have tried
to help in many different ways over the years, but it all has come to naught.

I am disillusioned, and I doubt that Todd and Suz have what it takes to do the
right things to let this site live and grow again. I would love to be wrong, but
it's no longer the way to bet. We've heard it from them too many times now. It
saddens me to say that, because I have a great deal of respect and admiration
for what they achieved, and I like them both as people, but I despair of
anything ever changing here.

No amount of posting by well meaning people about how wonderful Todd and Suz are
will change that view, because it is not about how wonderful they are. It is
about what they are not doing. They know they're burnt out, they know their own
emotional capital is low but they won't do what it takes to successfully let go.

1 - note.. if you look hard enough in various places you are going to find
people mocking me (and others) for using these (and other) phrases... it is my
view that they are not part of the solution to LUGNET's ills, no matter what
they may protest, or how much their supporters may snipe at me, or even, in at
least one case, how well they have fooled LEGO.