 Administrative / General / 13120 (-20)
  Re: Some advice, please

(...) Lenny, if they want you gone, they'll say so. If you want to go, then do so- but not over this. LUGNet needs strength and determination right now, not an ever-widening spiral of anger and hurt feelings. Tim (Smith) (19 years ago, 25-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Some advice, please

Lenny, LUGNET is notionally a "family" site. Please don't link to outside pages which contain examples of your (or anyone else’s) foul language. :- Scott A (19 years ago, 25-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

(...) Nicer in what way? The web interface has to work hard to provide the same information-at-a-glance that Free Agent does. (...) Who ever said that an NNTP client has to be text-only? (hey, anyone know of one that isn't?) It'd be really cool to (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

(...) Ummmmmm well that's not really fair - phpBB has had 6 updates over the 6 months I've been running it, and only 2 were for major security issues. And most of the exploits are because the site didn't keep up-to-date with the latest updates, or (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some advice, please

(...) Lenny, as someone else that is concerned about the future of Lugnet, but that has "started their own site and runs it how they want", I think totally dissolving your relationship with Lugnet is (IMO) an over-reaction. I was also feeling very (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

(...) Nice != Useful (...) I don't WANT pictures, unless I explicitly click on them to be opened. And with me probably a lot of others. Some of us are sometimes still on dial-up you know.... (in the field, on holiday, or just no affordable broadband (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Organizing volunteer coders [was: Dear NNTP users]

(...) From what I understand, OS projects don't always look for a single person to organize everyone for the whole time - as people lose interest, others step in. While the larger projects often have a "visionary" leader (Larry Wall, Linus (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Some advice, please

I've been following (URL) Suz's Lugnet Livejournal>. I'm sure everyone knows, but I have a bit of interest in the future of Lugnet, so I'm quite a bit uneasy when I hear things about Lugnet being turned off or going away. In this (URL) , Suz (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Organizing volunteer coders [was: Dear NNTP users]

(...) Yes, difficult to find a full-time individual who would be available for the duration of any significant (re)development. Also probably hard to find a part-time manager dedicated enough to oversee work done by many. I have received some offers (...) (19 years ago, 23-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:IJxLJF.1xwq@lugnet.com... (...) Why is browsing offline important? My computer is on-line at all times (expect when I'm sleeping, of course.). You can read an on-line forum at your (...) (19 years ago, 23-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

"Jan-Albert van Ree" <javanree@vanree.net> wrote in message news:IJxyIx.3EM@lugnet.com... (...) True, but the web based interface is so much nicer. Also see my response to your next point. (...) Because a GUI makes it much easier to communicate (...) (19 years ago, 23-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

(...) Because most of the discussions I follow on LUGNET don't involve many pictures, and I can always look at those later? Besides, one CAN tie in NNTP with other stuff, if I use my fancy newsreader I can click on any link and the pic is opened, (...) (19 years ago, 23-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

Hello! (...) That's exactly what I never understood about the NNTP fans' fondness of NNTP. I *can* understand why software engineers, coders and other geeky NNTP users (sorry :-) ) use NNTP and actually prefer it over every other form of forum. But (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

  About discussing stuff [was: good afternoon!]

LUGNET things are still up in the air. So, I have no real solid situation to state. I'm still gathering info about possibilities and listening to offers. I -would- be posting more bit-by-bit communication here, but my time is seriously limited. I'm (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message news:20050722133952....ron.com... (...) FeedReader doesn't like that address. Any idea why? Mike (19 years ago, 22-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

(...) Well, didn't we decide that we all love it? :) (...) I think it's a really nice feature to have (and a great differential between LUGNET and other boards), but for me, SMTP support is more important than NNTP. Not just because that's what I (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

(...) Well, there is an RSS feed of all LUGNET posts on Peeron: (URL) it is for all the newsgroups, and not one per each step in the hierarchy. (19 years ago, 22-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

Suz, I use NNTP almost exclusively. As others have pointed out, the new web forums (such as that used on legofan.org) are somewhat spiffy, but I find them slow and cumbersome. With NNTP I can quickly scan what is new across a relatively flat list of (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Dear NNTP users,

(...) I see there are lots of replies that I haven't read yet, but I'll just answer Suz's question directly for myself. I read a few standard newsgroups from my ISP's server via NNTP. E.g. comp.arch (computer architecture), rec.humour.funny, etc. I (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jul-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact