 Administrative / General / 12716
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:40:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
Undoubtedly there are
other interesting threads around Lugnet that should be there and are not.

I personally would be more convinced if you could find some threads that SHOULD
be there, but aren't.  Also include whether those threads have been spotlighted
or not.

OK, here is one:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=24799

It is about 36 hours old.  When it was about 6 hours old and with several replys
I spotlighted it.  It still has just one spotlight, but there are now 14
messages in the thread which shows quite a bit of interest.  And the thread
itself would be quite interesting to a number of people even outside of the
train community.

Well, this kinda re-inforces my implied point.  You spotlight it because you
think it is important, but no one else has.  Once again, the problem comes
because people don't spotlight enough.

Even if the .announce.moc added weight (+5) wasn't so high, your message might
not have made it to the sidebar.

A thread like this with activity and a spotlight should take precidence over
another MOC post, especially when there have been no replys or highlights for
that MOC post.  I like MOCs, but for me and other AFOL there is a lot more to
Lego than just MOCs.

There is indeed more to LEGO than MOCs.

Adding post activity to the equation of what gets to the sidebar is the real
point here. Balancing just on spotlights, stuff is still overlooked because
people just don't spotlight enough.

As a test yesterday I spotlighted a couple of other recent and interesting
non-moc articles, but they have not made the list either:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=50532 - post on helmet differences
http://news.lugnet.com/build/vignette/?n=211 - curious vignette

Anyone still watching this thread?  I wonder how many spotlights it would take
for one of these other threads to reach the list...

Depends on what is on the list, really.  With the drama of me and kevin stepping
down, plus a string of MOCs lately - I'd guess it would take more than 5
spotlights.

-Lenny