 Administrative / General / 12971
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 17:34:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
   Undoubtedly there are other interesting threads around Lugnet that should be there and are not.

I personally would be more convinced if you could find some threads that SHOULD be there, but aren’t. Also include whether those threads have been spotlighted or not.

If Lugnet is about LEGO, and LEGO MOCs in particular, I think added weight to MOCs is a fair. Especially since the only messages to really gain spotlights are MOCs or flame-wars.

-Lenny

Hey,

Sorry to drag up an old discussion, but I just noticed an example of this. In the past hour I have spotlighted two new creations--Keith’s Sato Plaza and James’ trolley--and posted one of my own--track and field vignettes. As of 10:30 AM Pacific time, my own post, with no human reccomendations, is at the top of the spotlight list, and Keith and James, each with at least one human reccomendation (my own), are not on the list at all. This is because I posted in .announce.moc with crossposts to .vignette and .sports, whereas Keith and James posted in .space and .trains, respectively. Now, these two creations were just recently posted, so I am sure they will pick up more spotlights as the day goes on and Keith and James certainly have gotten a lot of deserved attention for their MOCs (or smack, in Keith’s case), so it’s not like they’re hurting or anything, but it’s just an example of how the group you post in can have as much influence on the highlight list as human recommendations.

--As an aside, it is a real ego boost and then ego dash to hit refresh on the front page and notice that the MOC you posted less than an hour ago has already apparently gotten enough notice to land at the top of the list, and then reallize that no, it’s just that no one else has posted in announce.moc in 48 yours.

Bruce