 Administrative / General / 12653
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:14:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   If Lugnet is about LEGO, and LEGO MOCs in particular,

I’m not sure if this is precisely true. Just looking at classic-castle, only because it’s much quicker for me to get the stats, there are ~12000 posts in the “castle MOCs” forum and ~8800 posts in the “castle sets” forum. Assuming that statistics are similar on Lugnet, this suggests that discussion of LEGO products (leaks/announcements of upcoming sets, polls of favorite sets, discussion of colors/minifigs/new elements etc found in sets) is almost as prominent as discussion of MOCs made from those LEGO products. Add to that other types of discussion -- metadiscussion about Lugnet, forums for LUGs/LTCs to plan their next events, buy/sell/trade, and of course, off-topic.debate. I would rather say that “Lugnet is about LEGO, and the people who enjoy LEGO in all its forms,” or some such.

Anyway, the larger discussion is about how the spotlighting feature can be tweaked. While there are various ways that programming fixes might fix things one way or the other, and I have discussed these elsewhere in this and other threads, the main issue is that people don’t spotlight enough. If tons of members were spotlighting left and right, there would never be the problem that unranked MOCs made it onto the list.

-question: Is there any way to track who highlights (like the top noisemakers threads)? It would be very interesting to know how widespread post highlight is.

Dave’s post upthread about Toy Fair pictures is potentially a good example. That particular case is not as devastating as it may seem, though, because by the time those pics showed up it was all pretty much old news. The same new sets had been on Eurobricks for a while and had previously been displayed at the German Toy Fair (with a couple of changes--notably that Harry Potter graveyard which seemed to be in flux with each new announcement). Plus there were other threads pointing to pictures from the NY Toy Fair that showed up in other places (e.g. Rebel Scum for the SW, some Harry Potter fan site for the HP, etc.). So perhaps people were less likely to spotlight the NY Toy Fair because they had already spent the last couple of weeks poring over the German pics, or the spotlight effect was diluted because some people spotlighted those pics, while others were spotlighting threads pointing to other pics of the same thing?

Bruce