 Administrative / Database / 1209
Re: Custom Created Set Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:17:43 GMT

Thank you all for your replies. They have broken my personal record, I
believe I never generated such a long thread before.

In this post I'll try to respond to the remarkes made by you.

I fully agree that a Custom Created Set Reference has to be a separate
database. I intended it to be so from the beginning, marking it distictly to
avoid confusion with regular TLC sets.

Jennifer L. Boger wrote:

ok, it fits in the purpose, but where's the line drawn?  Is a MOC not a
set if I don't sell it?

Obviously not.

What if I draw up plans for it and give them away for free?  What if I charge >a penny for them?

I would say this would not apply. (and please send me one of each too :-)

I'm not sure how it would be kept as a db, nor what the demand would be, nor >where the lines would be drawn for it...

I agree there should be certain citeria to be met, for instance:

1- It must be sold as a set with a instuction booklet
2- It must have been announced publicly by means of a devoted webpage
3- A minimal production run is required, I believe 5 or more is a fair amount

I can't go down to the store and buy one of Larry P's hoppers...

But you can buy one if you want. If you look at this objectively, I can't go
to the store and buy a set from the 50th, a japanese exclusive or even the
3033 tub. For me it's a lot harder to acquire these and most other sets in
the "official" Set Reference than it is for me to buy a custom created set.

and if I bought one, I bet I wouldn't be allowed to post an inventory (I'm >guessing)... I'm just not sure that they'd be handled in any way similar to >the current set db...

I think its realistic that information in a Custom Created Set Reference
will be slightly different. A inventory is not very usefull for these kind
of sets. (when I mentioned the word inventarisation, I didn't mean
inventory, sorry)
More practical information would be availabillety and where to buy it.

separate, well, I don't know, all the same questions still apply.

Certainly sparate, and I hope I've aswered these satisfactory.

Bryan Beckwith wrote:

From what I've seen, there are usually only limited numbers of custom sets
created.  This means that a custom set in a database may only ever be seen
by 20 or 30 people.

In my opinion, the more reason to make a reference for these. A lot of early
official sets are very rare, and I've only seen these through the existing
Set Reference database.

Also, like Jennifer illustrated, it would be very difficult to decide what
qualified as a set.

Common sence has to prevail here, see my answer on Jenniffer's question.

IMO, what would be beneficial to the community would be a database of custom
set instructions, available for free.  However, it would also be hard to
decide which set instructions belong in the database and which ones don't.

As Larry said, most custom set instuction designs are copyrighted. It was
not my intention to include these.

I have no doubt that if any/all custom sets were accepted into the database,
it would quickly become cluttered with sets that, well, suck.

The custom created sets currently available don't suck at all, on the
contrary I would say. In contrast, certain official sets in the regular Set
Reference do suck. Not enough people would buy sets that suck, as TLC
painstakingly experienced. I've seen sets that are so much better than what
TLC has created lately, I think people making these simply earned and
deserve the recognission

If we want to look at custom sets, we can always do so elsewhere on the web >and plenty of links to custom sets can already be found on LUGNET.

I wasn't able to locate a comprehensive overview, that's what I'm missing.
Maybe you found one ? If so, please post the link.

Scott Sanburn wrote:

It might be nice to have a history of MOC'S that are / were
available for sale, so people can see what excellent
creations are there.

I've seen sets that are so much better than what TLC has created lately, I
think that people making these simply earned and deserve the recognition.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.