 Administrative / Database / 1211
Re: Custom Created Set Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:55:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Thomas Garrison writes:
In lugnet.admin.database, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.database, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
In lugnet.admin.database, Larry Pieniazek writes:
The inventory is copyrighted, yes.

How's that?

What I mean is, you claim copyright on the particular manifestation of the
inventory you have created, yes?  And certainly on the building instruction
booklet you provde, yes?  But not on the mathematical set listing the
constituent elements and their respective colors, right?

I imagine Larry knows what Todd is talking about, but for anyone else: I
believe Todd is referring to the general precept that grocery lists, etc,
cannot be copyrighted.  See

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html#wnp

Grocery lists cannot be copyrighted. But recipes can be considered a trade
secret. (My client yesterday is very concerned with protecting recipes for
things...) Inasmuch as the particular parts used to comprise a model can be
considered a recipe they can be protected by agreements with the individual
users or purchasers. I have such an agreement in place.

But again, this is not particularly likely to be of consequence as there's
no real reason to make the info public, it's not of any use to anyone other
than people who are building the set.

++Lar