 Administrative / Database / 1200
Re: Custom Created Set Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:15:43 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Jennifer L. Boger wrote:

I'm certainly not Todd, but I disagree with this almost as much as I
disagreed with LUGNET hosting a clone set DB.  Custom sets are nice, and
I even own some, but I don't think this is the place, imho.

I think there's a difference between a clone data base and a data base
of custom sets. To quote from the Lugnet plan (from the purpose of
Lugnet):

I didn't say they were the same as clones, I said I disagreed with it
almost as much :)

2. To help people share information about LEGO
   products and LEGO-related resources on the World
   Wide Web by setting in motion a community-driven
   knowledge-base.

Hmm, sounds like a data base of fan created custom sets fits in that
purpose. Should it be part of the Set Guide? No, probabvly not. Could it
be a separate data base? Why not?

ok, it fits in the purpose, but where's the line drawn?  Is a MOC not a
set if I don't sell it?  What if I draw up plans for it and give them
away for free?  What if I charge a penny for them?  I'm not sure how it
would be kept as a db, nor what the demand would be, nor where the lines
would be drawn for it... I can't go down to the store and buy one of
Larry P's hoppers... and if I bought one, I bet I wouldn't be allowed to
post an inventory (I'm guessing)... I'm just not sure that they'd be
handled in any way similar to the current set db... separate, well, I
don't know, all the same questions still apply.

btw, would me selling a box of 2 x 4 blue bricks on brickbay as a set
count?  LEGO doesn't make them in bulk...

making things difficult

jlb