 Administrative / Database / 1202
Re: Custom Created Set Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:31:30 GMT

I agree that a custom set database isn't a very good idea.

For one, it would only be beneficial to the few people who buy the custom
sets.  While I can't claim to know how many people buy them, I suspect it is
a very small percentage of LEGO users.

From what I've seen, there are usually only limited numbers of custom sets
created.  This means that a custom set in a database may only ever be seen
by 20 or 30 people.

Also, like Jennifer illustrated, it would be very difficult to decide what
qualified as a set.

IMO, what would be beneficial to the community would be a database of custom
set instructions, available for free.  However, it would also be hard to
decide which set instructions belong in the database and which ones don't.
I have no doubt that if any/all custom sets were accepted into the database,
it would quickly become cluttered with sets that, well, suck.

The easiest and most fair solution seems to be to only have a database of
official LEGO sets.  If we want to look at custom sets, we can always do so
elsewhere on the web and plenty of links to custom sets can already be found
on LUGNET.

Just my $0.02

Bryan Beckwith

"Jennifer L. Boger" <jenn@peeron.com> wrote in message
Frank Filz wrote:

Jennifer L. Boger wrote:

I'm certainly not Todd, but I disagree with this almost as much as I
disagreed with LUGNET hosting a clone set DB.  Custom sets are nice, • and
I even own some, but I don't think this is the place, imho.

I think there's a difference between a clone data base and a data base
of custom sets. To quote from the Lugnet plan (from the purpose of
Lugnet):

I didn't say they were the same as clones, I said I disagreed with it
almost as much :)

2. To help people share information about LEGO
   products and LEGO-related resources on the World
   Wide Web by setting in motion a community-driven
   knowledge-base.

Hmm, sounds like a data base of fan created custom sets fits in that
purpose. Should it be part of the Set Guide? No, probabvly not. Could it
be a separate data base? Why not?

ok, it fits in the purpose, but where's the line drawn?  Is a MOC not a
set if I don't sell it?  What if I draw up plans for it and give them
away for free?  What if I charge a penny for them?  I'm not sure how it
would be kept as a db, nor what the demand would be, nor where the lines
would be drawn for it... I can't go down to the store and buy one of
Larry P's hoppers... and if I bought one, I bet I wouldn't be allowed to
post an inventory (I'm guessing)... I'm just not sure that they'd be
handled in any way similar to the current set db... separate, well, I
don't know, all the same questions still apply.

btw, would me selling a box of 2 x 4 blue bricks on brickbay as a set
count?  LEGO doesn't make them in bulk...

making things difficult

jlb