 Trains / 9662
Re: Whither LEGO Steam Trains? (was Re: QT Movie of 4565)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:13:37 GMT

"Jason J. Railton" wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:
Hmm.  You couldn't drop some hints about tan train windows and brown 1xn
bricks whilst you're there too?  So many European and colonial* steam-era
trains had this sort of colour scheme, and you just can't get the bits in
LEGO to do a decent job.  And large wheels too... and connecting rods...
and... and... and...  Seriously though, it would be nice to know how close
LEGO Direct are on delivering their plans for ordering any part, what with
the Service Packs having been out of action for some time now.

Hmm...well, I'm not a train guy really, I don't know if the Train Summit
mentioned those or not.  I'll try to print this out though and take it.  I
don't even know what I want for my top bulk items yet....got a lot of
thinking to do between now and this weekend :)

xpost -> lego.direct
-Tim

Gosh, thanks.  I wasn't sure whether I could expect that sort of lobbying to
be taken seriously!  And I've clearly not been into trains for long enough
or I would have remembered to mention _matching_brown_doors_.  :)

I'm a bit disappointed with TLC's support for steam trains actually.  I know
that they want to be a global brand, and so they take a fairly generic
approach in all their models, including trains.  It's then very difficult to
create a steam locomotive that won't look blatantly specific to one country
or another.  It's also difficult to build a large model not based on long
wagon bogeys that can still take corners.  But couldn't they try?  I seem to
remember the faked pictures of 'new' sets had a fairly impressive
not-too-parochial steam engine.

Lately we've seen an influx of more subdued colour bricks (tan, brown, dark
green, dark grey) for more realistically coloured models - and less of
everything in primary colours.  Could we not see this extended to trains
too?  Not all models, obviously - I expect primary colours are part of the
appeal to children, and are also part of what we expect from LEGO sets.
But, it is a bit childish.  The first thing many AFOLs do is take the sets
apart and build their own on the bases.

Was there much call for steam models at the Train Summit?

Hey, don't get us wrong-- we shot for the moon!  But Rome wasn't built in a
day, and everything we wanted won't be produced tomorrow, and maybe never.  But
the Romans are breaking ground;-)

LTCs and LTDs (LEGO Train Dudes) caught the interest of LD and the ball is
starting to roll-- it's going to be up to us to support what LD will do, and
more will forthcome.  Think snowball effect (easy for me; I am in the middle of
a 3 day snowstorm...;-()

-John

Most of the
pictures I saw where of diesel and electric designs.  I know there are
plenty of people out there valiantly forging driving wheels out of technic
gears and hubs, which they then have to keep well away from points and
crossings.

Jason J Railton.