 Trains / 9680
Re: Whither LEGO Steam Trains? (was Re: QT Movie of 4565)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 16:43:14 GMT

"Jason J. Railton" <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Tim Courtney writes:
Well, I'll do what I can, I've done lobbying for trains before, but I don't
know what I can do beyond the scope of what was discussed at the Train
Summit.  Plus, I know I won't find out stuff about trains to the level of
detail to what was discussed last week, I'm there for an entirely different
purpose.  But, then again, I have a lot to talk to them about with the
broader community in mind (not my specific niche) which I would like to be
more informed/involved with in the future.  I've got a copy of your message
printed with a few other materials in prep for the meeting.

I'm very grateful, but I don't intend to cause any problems, particularly so
close following the Train Summit.  It was just another suggestion, one among
many I'm sure.  But, I would like to see those elements in those colours,
and I'm sure a lot of other people have their own ideas of elements in
certain (existing) colours they'd like to see.  So, if those specific ones
get taken forward as a suggestion then great!  For me, and for anyone else
who's trying to build in tan/brown 1xn.  Thank you.

I'll see - but from what I've heard about who will be attending, it doesn't look
like its very possible.  Causing problems - hmm, I doubt you'd cause problems
with a bulk parts request.  I am saying though that I don't have very much to do
with trains (besides the fact that I like them), when there was a whole group of
serious trainheads there last weekend.

I'm a bit disappointed with TLC's support for steam trains actually...
Again, Train Summit fodder, and NDA'ed.

Well, this probably was raised at the Train Summit, and satisfactory replies
may well have been given, and those attending may have come away with grins
from ear to ear, but they're unable to tell anyone any details.  Does this
mean that from now on any discussion in lugnet.trains is immediately shot
down with the letters 'N.D.A.'?  You might as well close the group down, if
that's the case.  I'm not aiming this at you, Tim.  Please don't take
offence.

I understand, and no offense taken.  I think Lar's reply to this was good.

He said that he is very excited about the meetings as well, but also think in
his shoes (and those of the others in attendance) he can't say anything about
it.  I know that's a tough position to be in cause I'm in the same place right
now.  I'll have to slap the letters N.D.A. on a few future posts and replies as
well (when replying to questions people have asked me), but that doesn't mean
discussion about those subjects get shot down.

These are open messages to anyone reading the group.  I also don't
mean to be bitter (despite having had a lousy couple of days).  But, it
kills any discussion when a select few know some of the answers and just say
'I can't discuss that'.  Don't then.  But don't stamp on the discussion.

Well that's something I'll try to avoid.

It's unlucky timing that my suggestions came after this event, but I'm not
going to apologise for them.

You don't have to.

So what else is there left to discuss?  Well, it took me a while to get into
trains because of the high start-up cost of a train set.  Two decades ago
you could get a push-along engine, then some track if you wanted, then
motors, points, whole trains etc. if it really grabbed you.  Nowadays, you
either spend a huge wad on a full set, or you go without.  Every other theme
has small starter sets - the only small train sets are accessories to larger
ones.  I'm sure there'd be more take-up if parents could buy something
simple, then get more if their kids get hooked.

I'm one of those who have gone without.  I don't really have the money for a
train right now, and I'd much rather build spaceships, which is what I've been
into for many years now.  Maybe someday when I have the money and trains are
more readily available and cheaper to enter, I'll get some.  Between now and
then, I'm content to help out and go to train shows where LTCs are.

-Tim