 Trains / 9677
Re: Whither LEGO Steam Trains? (was Re: QT Movie of 4565)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:49:00 GMT

Jason J. Railton wrote:
So what else is there left to discuss?  Well, it took me a while to get into
trains because of the high start-up cost of a train set.  Two decades ago
you could get a push-along engine, then some track if you wanted, then
motors, points, whole trains etc. if it really grabbed you.  Nowadays, you
either spend a huge wad on a full set, or you go without.  Every other theme
has small starter sets - the only small train sets are accessories to larger
ones.  I'm sure there'd be more take-up if parents could buy something
simple, then get more if their kids get hooked.

Well, right now, you could put yourself a "push" train the following
way:

$45 3 3737 Train Accessories
$26 2 4520 Eight Curved Rails
-----------------------------
$71

You then use your existing collection to build an engine and two cars.

Unfortunately this points out the real flaw in the new Train
Accessories, with the old accessory packs you could have done:

$12 4 5304 Two Wheelsets
$9 3 5303 Buffers, Magnets, and Couplers
$2 1 5302 Two Bogie Plates
$3 1 5309 Wagon Plate
$26 2 4520 Eight Curved Rails
-------------------------------------
$54

This builds you 2 4 wheel cars and 1 8 wheel bogie car.

It would be a heck of a lot better though if a push train set was sold.
I suspect for $70, TLC could offer a push train with an engine and two
or three cars (mostly 4 wheel), an oval of track, and a few minifigs (a
good set would be to take 3225 and replace the train motor with two
wheelsets and an oval of track, which could probably be sold at
basically the same price).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com