 Trains / 21912
Re: Another Motorized Switch Design :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:35:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:

   You could probably reduce the “problem cars” issue with an axle connector and extension (move the motor further away from the switch lever) and reduce the size of the housing a bit.

Great observation! That allows the 4x8 house to perfectly straddle the joint between the switch and the next piece of track. If the 4x6 switch version doesn’t work out, I’ll put together some instructions with your suggestion.

Ok, Dave is right, this is fun!

So, I added the axle joiner and this is what it looks like now:

Moving the housing back allowed the signal arm to be simplified. Since the housing was moved back, there’s now more clearance (about 1/2 stud laterally). I also beefed up the base attachment to help deal with uneven surfaces like carpet.

Only the 4x6 unit has shown a tendency to self-destruct. The previous 4x8 design has been holding together just fine, but this new design should be even more stable and it’s been able to take everything I’ve dished out. :-)

The modifications to the 4x6 design (which I’m not sure even work) actually made it enough larger that I don’t know that it’s worth pursuing if it can’t be held down to the original 4x6 size (hey, maybe Elmer’s will help...).

Anyway, here’s the LDraw file:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/markril/Trains/TSwitch3/tswitch3.ldr

Folder when moderated:

Thanks for the suggestion, Ross!