 Trains / 21929
Re: Another Motorized Switch Design :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:51:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Philippe Label wrote:

   Along with Chris, I totally agree that your design is brilliant. I tested both versions (long and short) and both prooved to be very stable with my switch points. At least after 200 tests. To be honest, I oil my switch points with pure vaseline oil, as mentioned in a former message (http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=21873) and this reduces very significantly the effort needed by the motor to action the switch point. It may contribute to the mechanical stability of your system.

Thanks, Philippe. I must say that it was your article at the FreeLUG site that got me thinking along these lines. I remember having to search all over the place when I was working on my first motorized switch!

Here’s the latest version of the 4x6 switch unit:

In this version, the base attachment has been enlarged and strengthened and another 4x6 plate was added to the roof. The three 1x1 plates from the previous version were also eliminated as I considered these to be a source of weakness.

I built four of these and all of them are holding together very well. I’ve been using the transparent 2x3 panels from set 4561 as I’ve found these to be a lot stiffer than the other opaque panels I’ve tried (besides, it just plain looks cooler with the transparent panels... :-).

Brickshelf folder (with LDraw file and building instructions):

I will have to try the vaseline oil on one of my switches, as this switch is very difficult to throw because of internal friction.

Cheers,

Mark