 Trains / 21901
Re: Another Motorized Switch Design :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:23:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:

   I built one of Marks last night, and yes, even with the ‘closed studs’ and other avenues of ‘keepin’ it together’, the plates adn motor do eventually come loose. Sometimes it’s 20 times, sometimes it’s 60-80 times, but the unit does work itself to ‘self destruct mode.

Dave, which version did you build (the 4x8 version or the 4x6 version)? My 4x8 seems to be holding together at the moment... knock on wood.

Yeah, I used the 4x6 version (2 wide panels), and eventually one of the panels would go flying, or the motor would pop up. But it does last a bit, and it’s like ‘Russian Roulette’--when is the switcher going to self destruct and will that destruction cause havoc on the rails? Place yer bets!

I did notice that the transparent panels (vs. the opaque ones) are made of a stiffer material and seem to work much better in this application. So, it may not be the open vs. closed studs but the material that matters.

I’ll see tonite.

Yes, a brick-plate-plate-brick type method is what’s called for here, but I haven’t come up with any elegant solutions yet.

Just thinking at work about it makes my day go by faster :)

   Cheers,

Mark

Dave K