 Trains / 21911
21910  |  21912
Subject:
Slotted freight cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:07:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Recently I've been working with this part:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/boxcars/dsc00029.jpg

and felt that it could be useful in creating some nice looking freight rolling
stock. I believe I was right. I was able to come up with a simple design that
worked very well and I reproduced the design in three different colors:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/boxcars/dsc00017.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/boxcars/dsc00018.jpg

Also as a bonus the cars have working sliding doors. Here I had to be creative
and I came up with a pretty niffty solution.

I added the 1x8 slotted rails above and below the door opening:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/boxcars/dsc00027.jpg

then on the back of a 6x8 plate I attached two Adventure type wind screens:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/boxcars/dsc00026.jpg

Once inserted the wind screens fit perfectly in the tracks, when the door is
closed you just gently push the door tight and it locks in place:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/boxcars/dsc00025.jpg

to open the door just pull the door a very tiny bit away from the car and the
door will slide open with ease:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/boxcars/dsc00024.jpg

My dark grey car does not have the sliding door yet since I don't have the 1x8
slotted rails in dark grey. So for now it has a stationary door, but both the
black and grey cars both have sliding doors.

For all the pictures (once moderated):

jt

James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club