 Trains / 17398
Re: How to start on Lego® trains. What to buy? Which system? // For train FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:16:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

These are the advantages and disadvantages of 9V:

+ perfect operational reliability (put it together and everything runs fine).
+ very quick assembling of any track layout
+ 'cheap' new rolling stock (especially at Shop@home under www.lego.com)
+ cheap motors (1 extra motor set is only 25$US) (Transformers are very cheap
to be bought used - never buy a new one.)
+ track looks better than 12V track
+ waggons run very smooth. 1 engine can pull dozens of (not too heavy) waggons
+ robust track design: kids can even make a stampede in shoes over it...
+ track can even be placed on lawn outside (but not for 365/year)
- no remote controlled stuff (but points give the voltage into one of the 2
outgoing lines: that makes it easy to use them as 'signals'.)
- the 'best' 9V sets are partly very expensive (4551, 4554, 4536)
- inclinations should not overstep 1 or 2 plates per track piece.
- geometry of track is partly poor (same for 12V) in comparison to H0 model
railroad.

Any further opinions and hints are welcome!

Kind Regards,

Reinhard 'Ben' Beneke