 Trains / 7601
7600  |  7602
Subject:
Which to collect - 4.5v, 9v, 12v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 02:54:28 GMT

Hello everyone, I am wanting to start collecting trains.
I am looking for some advice.

Which is the best?
What are the pros & cons of each type?
4.5v, 9v, & 12v.

------------------
This is what I already have:
107 - 4.5v Motor & Battery Box
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/107_1
7864 - 12v Transformer, leads & track connection
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7864
1/3 of a circle of 12v track (in used condition)
------------------

------------------
This is what I have available to me (I'm in Australia)

1) I know someone that is selling lots of 12v stuff.
Trains, tracks, transformer's, cariages..
It's all in imaculate condition & reasonable prices.
For example:
7755 - Electric Diesel Locomotive
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7755
US$27 - Complete almost never used, with instructions like new.
Is this good value?

2) I could buy some of the current 9v sets US$130+
This would only get me started & is quite expensive.

3) Buy a 4.5v battery cariage (5075) for US$20 from BrickBay
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5075
I could use it with my 4.5v motor & use any track I like.
------------------

What should I do?
Should I buy the 12v stuff?
Or should I buy the 12v stuff & sell it on eBay & BrickBay?
I could then use the proceeds from this to buy a 9v set.

In Australia the Soccer sets are half the price of those in the US.
The team busses are great for windows.
Which is the best color, red, blue, white, black?
What would be most popular to buy second hand?
(I'm thinking of setting up a BrickBay shop)

Thanks for reading.
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Carl Watson