 Trains / 7726
Re: Which to collect - 4.5v, 9v, 12v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:51:06 GMT

Thanks for everybody's input.

I have made a decision.
I am going to buy as many of the 12V trains as I can afford. (I might even buy
some to sell on eBay so I can afford more!)
I can then always convert to 9V later on (if they are still available?).

&
I am a train builder rather than a collector (I still need to collect pieces
to build with).

I am going to be buying some football team busses next week (for the train
windows)

I will be selling 'White Train windows, with blue glass' at my Brickbay site.
They will be US$1.50 each.

What do you think of this price.

Carl Watson

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Mr. Watson,

  As you may well know, the 4.5 and 12V sets are no longer offered by LEGO.
9V sets are by far the most reliable, but LEGO could have been more
imaginative in designing these sets (the popular notion is that
LEGO 'juniorized' the 9V series and simplified these for a younger crowd). It
is my belief that most LEGO train enthusiasts are adults who grew up with the
first generations of LEGO train sets (i.e. the 1970's and 80's). Good luck on
whatever you decide. One idea is to combine some the old sets and bring them
up to the current 9V standards.

Get back to us with your decision.
Harvey Henkelman