 Trains / 7604
Re: Which to collect - 4.5v, 9v, 12v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:15:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Carl Watson writes:
Hello everyone, I am wanting to start collecting trains.
I am looking for some advice.

Advice about collecting? Are you a collector or a builder or both?

Which is the best?

Depends on personal preference. Some like 9V some 12, some 4.5

My advice is decide what you like and focus on that. Don't ask others for what
you ought to like, that is personal. As to what to BUY, buy every 12v set you
come across if it's at all reasonably priced, check eBay recent sales or some
of the info available around here for pricing. That 7755 you mentioned is a
factor of 3-8 under what market on it is depending on condition so you ought
to buy it asap.

That will be a great source of funds to pay for completing a 9V collection if
you go that way. But watch out, the train bug spreads, you may soon want to be
complete in all three lines and regret any 12V that you sold.

As to buying buses and parting them out, probably a good market for that. I've
bought 150 complete buses so far although not all of them are here yet. I used
up just about all of the white windows from the first 30 whites I got on my
PCC model which is selling briskly, so I am getting more white windowed buses.
That bus is a good source of parts including some that SHOULD sell well (not
to me, of course, I have loads).