 Trains / 17428
Re: How to start on Lego(r) trains. What to buy? Which system? // For train FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:02:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Considering how many times I've posted in reply to Mr. P...

As to this particular issue, I stand behind my opinion, by and large, in
normal use, the 9V track doesn't need regular cleaning. Can it benefit from
it? Maybe... I haven't needed to, though. Others have. That's fine.

Is it appropriate to put into a beginner FAQ? No. Not in my view. I've given
my reasons why. Don't bog a beginner FAQ down with excessive detail and
caveats. (others have even went further and suggested that a beginner FAQ
ought to omit 12V entirely as too esoteric, for example)

It's random chance that I hung that statement (about cleaning) on your post,
because it was random chance, presumably, that you responded first with the
assertion that cleaning was needed. Not some sort of big plot to undercut
you. Don't flatter yourself.

In the large though, I'm not sure what you're getting at, Harvey. Mostly I
ignore your posts. Your pronouncements that you're leaving, that you're
back, that you're leaving again, your statements that you're writing the
NMRA to tell them things (which, truth be told, they already know, because
of the hard work of clubs all around the country), your questions about
whether you should do models or not, whether you should redo models, your
statements about taking on jobs, your annoucements that you are hosting a
chatroom discussion and you expect everyone to come in and participate,
etc... I view those all as chitchat.

Harmless, but noise. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, we all make noise.
It's part of the fun of the hobby.

No one is attacking you for having an opinion in this matter, or in any
other matter. That doesn't mean that they agree, mind you. Don't view
disagreement as attack.

...my opinion stands

As it should, unless you decide it shouldn't. The interchange of ideas is
part of what makes discussion groups great. Different ideas get voiced,
reshaped, people learn things, etc. Some people in this group are new to
trains, some have been fans all their lives. Some are only mildly
interested, some are passionate. And yes, some knowledge can come off as
being a bit pedantic. Deal.

I'll leave the advice to the self-proclaimed 'experts'
Harvey Henkelman-Certified Ferroequinologist

Does anyone but me find the above two lines, one right after the other, at
all ironic? I never sign my posts "train fan for 35 years" or "Has every
back issue of TRAINS to 1970" or "successful model designer" or "Has
implemented IT systems at several logistics companies and railroads" or any
of the other true things I could say if I wanted to.

I don't see the need. Knowledge speaks for itself without the need for
aggrandizement, and people over time develop their own opinions of who knows
what they're talking about and who doesn't. It's a meritocracy. And that's good.

And especially, I don't much make up labels for myself. However if there IS
a process to become a "certified ferroequinologist" that has some standing
among others, not just something you made up, I'm certainly interested.
However the title smacks of "self proclaimed expert" to my eyes.

In closing: Harvey, (and everyone else) do what you want to do and be happy
in your hobby. Contribute, or don't, here, or elsewhere, as you choose. When
you have something valuable to contribute, the forum will be that much
richer for your presence or poorer for your absense. But, conversely, when
you have something disruptive to contribute, it will be that much POORER for
your contribution or richer if you choose not to sully it with it... You decide.

++Lar