 Trains / 17400
Re: How to start on Lego® trains. What to buy? Which system? // For train FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:02:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
I think you've just about said it all Ben, I'll add that 9V rails can be
cleaned with a soft, dry cloth every couple weeks for optimum performance.
-Harvey

I have never done this, ever. And I have had no problems whatever.

Unless you let your kids take the track outside (Hi Chris...) this is not
necessary. It's stainless wheels on stainless track precisely to obviate
this need.

Therefore I would strongly suggest NOT putting this advice in a *beginners*
FAQ as it will scare people off. Needlessly.

I agree.  I'd also start a beginners guide by talking about 9V and the
options available, then summarise older systems (battery, 12V) so that the
beginner knows they're out there, and can then decide whether to seek them
out specifically or avoid them to concentrate on current product.  Starting
a beginners' guide with a description of 12V like this could be confusing.

Jason J Railton