 Trains / 17402
Re: How to start on Lego® trains. What to buy? Which system? // For train FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:23:31 GMT

I agree with much of the other commentary, but just would like to toss
in a few points:

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:
- good + complete sets of trains are (partly) really expensive

But bargains can be found.

- the friction of the 12V waggons is quite high: no engine will pull
more than 4...5 waggons.

But 9v wheels work just fine (my 8 car 7740 runs quite nicely with 9v
wheels on the passenger cars).

- the track gets easiely dirty and makes the running behaviour not to
good. Whenever you start playing after a break (longer than a week) you need
some time till the stuffs runs smooth again.

And wiping off the track during a long running session helps.

- track needs a quite flat surface (otherwise derailments will happen too
often)

Not absolutely, you just need some care. I have run 12v for several days
at the PNLTC mall show and have had very few derailment problems, but
I've been careful to shim the track in a few places (we have also had to
shim the 9v track in a few places to prevent problems).

- putting track together takes its time.....

Yes, and each time you set up the track, or especially tear it down, you
will probably break the tab off of one or more ties.

- used motors and remote controlled stuff is (very) expensive

Yes. I've decided the most cost effective way to get more motors is to
pick a set you like and get additional copies of it.

- stuff is harder to get in the US(, but quite common at ebay.de)

But many Germans are happy to ship to the US, and I've never had a
problem sending cash in registered mail.

******************

These are the advantages and disadvantages of 9V:

+ perfect operational reliability (put it together and everything runs fine).

Well, almost. I agree though, 9v is very nearly perfect in this regard.

+ very quick assembling of any track layout

Except when you try and set up a tightly spaced double ended yard...

For a start take a look especially for set 7735: that is quite often sold a
prices below 9V starter sets. 7745 and even 7740 are now and then to be found
at reasonable prices (but have an open eye for for the condition: missing
stickers are a reason for 'collectors' not to bid on such an item - for a
starter (of for playing kids) that might be fine though.

I definitely agree with the recommendation on these three sets, though I
don't really like the 7745 design, it sure gives you plenty to start
with.

With 12v there's also the fun of digging up the old 70s 12v which has
some fun and interesting stuff, though it's definitely an acquired
taste, and it can be difficult to get 70s era working remote points, and
you have to watch hard for the 740 transformer to run them (but once you
get one of those, you can plug all those 4.5v lamps into it and save on
batteries).

4.5v can be fun to play with also, especially for setting up head on
collisions...

Frank