 Trains / 14877
Re: Surprise, new train set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:38:11 GMT

Kim Toll built a BNSF in War Bonnet colors 3 years ago. Here's the thread:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=1848

but the URL is no longer valid, try this one instead:
http://www.easystreet.com/~kjmrr/
the SOO is nice too!

Heres a shot form the LEGOLAND disply
http://www.pnltc.org/Gal_LLCA_0801/TrainDisplayArea/Gallery.html?08040017

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:

That would be very cool but I would be very surprised to see them chrome.
That would be a lot of chrome!  But we can hope.  I too am looking forward
to this set as the SantaFe warbonnet design is probably my all time favorite
locomotive.

The pedant in me is forced to point out that Super Chief(tm) is a named
train of the ATSF, and warbonnet is a paint scheme of the ATSF... neither,
techically, is a locomotive. LEGO(r)'s labeling it as such is a bit off.

The Super Chief named train was pulled by a number of different locomotives
over the years. It premiered, IIRC, with a custom boxcab/shovelnose
locomotive for power and worked its way through various E and F units before
the F7s (referenced in the site someone else linked to) were standardised
on. Later on it used cowl units.

The warbonnet scheme has been applied to a LOT of different locos over the
years, including some in service today that havent yet gotten repainted in
BNSF colors. I think there was even a dark blue/yellow variant for ATSF
freight service at one point, and you can argue that one of the current
multicolor BNSF schemes is derived from the warbonnet scheme.

Nevertheless I await more details as eagerly as everyone else. IMHO, the
sharpest application of the warbonnet was to the Alco PA...