 Trains / 14876
Re: Surprise, new train set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:45:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Josh Baakko writes:

The warbonnet scheme has been applied to a LOT of different locos over the
years, including some in service today that havent yet gotten repainted in
BNSF colors. I think there was even a dark blue/yellow variant for ATSF
freight service at one point, and you can argue that one of the current
multicolor BNSF schemes is derived from the warbonnet scheme.

The Blue/yellow isn't considered a warbonnet though ;-)  Only the
red/yellow/silver...  There was also a red/yellow design for the failed
SP-SF merger...

Yes there was a red/yellow. Those are both warbonnets. The distinguishing
characteristic of the warbonnet scheme is (according to ATSF historians,
writing before you were born) the shape of the demarcation between the front
color and the rest of unit color, not the colors used, nor whether the
colors are separated with stripes.

So you're certainly entitled to the opinion that those schemes aren't
warbonnets, but it's not an opinion that's generally held.