 Trains / 10952
Re: New Train - KT203 - Opening the box - first impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:15:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Chris Leach" <cleach@mediaone.net> wrote in message
Lawrence.are the instructions to add the light kit alreading included?(i
know you have to order the kit seperatly but i have a ton of lights and
i'm hoping to just use those)

No. Lighting instructions are not included

And at first sight, there isnt any obvious place where the light would go.

My Big Black Loco with Tender, plus my light set arrived late yesterday. The
light set consists of a standard train light brick, a sliver reflector, an
ordinary 1x2 black brick, a 9v cable (20cm?) and instructions on how to
build it into all of the new Locos.

A pleasant surprise: the set is designed to replace the single light on top
of the boiler (and uses the two smallest 'plate' stickers from the Loco's
sticker set to disguise the light brick). The instructions get you to remove
the rod from the left side of the boiler and run the cable along the top of
the boiler, through the two clips and in through the front window hole on
the cab, then it doubles back under the boiler. I didn't particularly like
this design (but that's the beauty of Lego - you can change it so easily) so
I replaced one of the 1x2 slopes on top of the boiler with a 1x1 brick to
make a hole directly behind the smoke stack, and created a passage straight
down through the boiler. The supplied cable was now far too long, so I
replaced it with a 10cm one from my Mindstorms set.

This allowed me room to customise the inside of the cab, and to fit the
motor at the rear of the Loco (as opposed to the front as per the instructions).

If you've got plenty of lights, I don't think the light set is worth it, so
I'll see if I can post a scan of the light instructions, and some pics of my
customised Loco on the net in the next few days.

Cheers,
Paul.